I have one of the Blue Line Power monitors for Microsoft Hohm (http://www.bluelineinnovations.com/Products/PowerCost-Monitor/). This product did not allow me to see how much a single room or circuit was using. It was a start.
I have the LCD display in my living room near the TV so that I can quickly see how much energy my home is consuming.
|Microsoft Hohm Data (Sunday, Got up at ~9am)|
For my 30th birthday I got all the parts I need to do per-circuit power monitoring for my whole house. By doing branch circuit monitoring I can answer many questions about my enery usage.
- What does this mean? I can tell you things like:
- How often does my water heater (http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pump-hot-water-heater/high-efficiency-water-heater-savings.htm) turn on.
- How long does it run
- How much power does it use
- Exactly how much does it cost me for it to run
- How much power does my house use when I turn off all my normal items
- Leaving things like laptop and cell phone chargers on
- How much does it cost me to run my AC in the summer? Is it worth leaving on all day or turning on just when I get home
- Or in my case thanks to Insteon I can turn it on before I leave work!
I got the ECM1240 system from Brultech.com. Specifically the PP3-200-X (http://www.brultech.com/home/store/product.php?id_product=34)
I installed solid core CTs on each breaker on my home circuit panel.
To hold the ECM1240 brains I installed a PVC box just next to my main panel to hold all the low voltage items.
The ECM1240 allows me to view my data in real-time via the my1240.com website, read the data from google powermeter or push it into my own data collection environment.
The CONS about the 1240 system are:
- The software to manage the 1240 collection devices has more bugs in it than Windows ME. It crashes often and overall is a piece of junk.
- The solution by default only supports Google powermeter not www.Microsoft-hohm.com.
- While google powermeter has its ups one thing that is has a serious issue with it is the User interface sucks
- The ability to export the data into CSV format from google is nice. Not an option on www.Microsoft-hohm.com
- The ability to share access to my power data from google is nice. Not an option on www.Microsoft-hohm.com
Google Power Meter Data